Europa-List: exhaust blackening and tyre wear

Subject: Europa-List: exhaust blackening and tyre wear
From: Richard Iddon <riddon@sent.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:07:16

On checking my engine bay (912S, approx 80 hours) I note that there is a
good deal of blackening around various parts, presumably caused by a
slight leak somewhere from the exhaust. Is it acceptable to use an
exhaust sealant (like Gun Gum) in the silencer sockets when assembling
to reduce the amount of exhaust fumes escaping or should they just be
assembled dry?

Also, due to my inexpertise in crosswind landings, I seem to have
scrubbed the outside of my tyres off considerably more than the inside.
Is it acceptable to reverse the tyres on the rims to even out the wear?

Richard Iddon G-RIXS