Re: Europa-List: Fitting Aileron in Wing

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fitting Aileron in Wing
From: JohnDHeykoop@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 16:30:56

In a message dated 03/08/04 17:37:40 GMT Standard Time, dsimenauer@cox.net
writes:

> I have just started to fit the port aileron into the wing.  It does not fit
> into the closeout on the root end (next to the flap) Should I trim back the
> top of the closeout or is there something else I should do?  If I trim  the
> closeout how far back can I safely go?

Dave

I had a similar problem with my XS wings and asked Neville at the factory. He
sent me the following reply:

Hi John,
The best way to deal with this is as follows.
Cut away the vertical end web at the root of the aileron in it's entirety,
flush with the octaganal aileron closeout, and also cut away some of the bonded
area of the rib to the closeout, and if needed, take a slice out of the rib,
to let the closeout move up.
This will allow the closeout to spring open enough to allow the aileron to
fit.
When the aileron is fitting in the gap=A0 OK , rebond the rib to the closeout.
Hope this will help,
Cheers,
Nev.

I followed Neville's advice and this solved the problem.

Regards

John Heykoop