Europa-List: parallel fuel system

Subject: Europa-List: parallel fuel system
From: nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:41:11

I had several people approach me at the PFA Rally enquiring as to the situation
with my parallel fuel system. It has been working well for 2 seasons now
and I am pleased to say that the PFA are prepared to allow it to be copied
as a mod. It is suitable for Rotax 912 and 912S engines and may be OK with
other non turbocharged systems. Ted Gladstone is the first to follow this
up and hopefully we will be able to make it a Club Mod in due course. I
will be writing a article covering its latest stage of development which
will appear in a future issue of the Europa Flyer.

Basically for those who are not aware, it uses twin electric pumps (one
at each tank output) and with the benefit of a pressure switch enables an
auto changeover when the main tank is exhausted (or in the event of pump
failure). As the mechanical pump is no longer used there is a minimum of
fuel tubing forward of the firewall reducing heat transfer. This tubing
is heat shielded and with ram air cooling no bleedback is required greatly
simplifying the plumbing. Careful arrangement of the electrical system ensures
minimal risk of total electrical failure. As all electric fuel pumping is
used in the Rotax 914 and Subaru the precedent has already been set in this
respect.

Other UK based builders who are interested should contact me so that I can
guide them through the PFA requirements.

Nigel Charles

Broadband from an unbeatable 15.99!

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband/home.html?code=SM-NL-11AM