Re: Europa-List: Benwick FM 1053 Fuel Flow Computer

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Benwick FM 1053 Fuel Flow Computer
From: nigel charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 18:02:43

Hi William

>I was unaware of this knowledge about Benwick, but I must say I have never
seen a drop in fuel pressure (sample point down stream of Benwick) at full
throttle (mine's the 912). <

You probably won't. However if you do the fuel flow check you are bleeding
off an extra 25% above your max fuel flow. The restriction will then cause
the pressure to drop just below the minimum (about 2.25psi if my memory
serves me correctly). Practically speaking your setup is OK provided you get
no contamination in the sender causing fuel starvation. This has happened at
least once
with the Benwick sender and I believe the PFA got close to banning fuel flow
senders. I am still surprised they allow use of the Benwick
sender.

>> Where can I buy a Flowscan sensor and are they
directly interchangeable, or do I have to throw the Benwick unit away?<

I bought mine direct from Floscan in Seattle (about $160 but money well
spent). I haven't got their contact details to hand. Try Google. If no joy
remind me in a couple of days time and I will look it up for you. The
Floscan is cast alloy and comes with 1/4" female NPT threads. Either
incorporate it into a rigid pipe system or buy a couple of adaptors to mate
with the 5/16" rubber hose.

Regards

Nigel