Re: Europa-List: XSAileron clearance upper close out flange

Subject: Re: Europa-List: XSAileron clearance upper close out flange
From: Gerry Holland <gnholland@onetel.com>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 18:05:50

Brian Hi!

Here are my questions.

> 1. Is any aileron rubbing on the top flange acceptable at this stage of
> build? Perhaps there is something that I have missed later on in the manual to
> fix this?

I guess it's probably not acceptable but I had same problem. More on Port
and Starboard Wing/Aileron. Probably me!

> 2. If not. Can anyone give me an idea about how much trimming was needed on
> their XS wing?
I trimmed about 1/4" off Starboard but nearer 1/2" on Port and then used
Glass paper around lead edge of Aileron and sanded back to smooth unhindered
movement. It looks OK and works OK now. The actual alignment difference
between Flap and Aileron skin T/E is 3/8" Port - 5/8" Starboard.

> 3. Or What was the width of the upper flange after trimming and did it effect
> the bond of the wing top?

I bonded on Wing top skin without taking these consequences into account.

Neville will have a definite answer so maybe ask before going further.
BTW it's a UK Holiday on Monday! Yes again!

Regarding Mass balance slot alignment. Mine was the same as yours and I
realigned by moving and reshaping 'Boxes' and all again lines up.

It's that 'Europa Factor' built into Manual to personalise all our
Aeroplanes!!

Regards

Gerry

Europa 384 G-FIZY
Trigear with Rotax 912 and Arplast CS Prop.
Fuselage painted! Wings being painted next week, Flying surfaces painted
Airframe Wiring complete, Full Size Panel 70% done .
Includes Dynon EFIS, KMD 150, Icom A-200 and SL70 Transponder. AoA Fitted.
Activity on Panel, Designing Heater Unit, Shoulder Width Mod completed.

http://www.g-fizy.com
+44 7808 402404
gnholland@onetel.com