Europa-List: Composite panels

Subject: Europa-List: Composite panels
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:57:10

Jeff and Co,
I made a fibreglass skateboard top as a 15 year old with numerous layers of
glass. I think it might have topped a dozen, no, probably more, but when I
stood on it, it became a banana. Same basic concept, composites derive most
of their strength with 2 skins spaced apart about an inert core medium that
allows the specific properties of compression and tension to oppose each
other under load. Use half the glass, a bit of ply and "Bobs your uncle",
OR, forget the composite and go for aluminium. Basically, forget glass on
its own.
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia