Re: Europa-List: FINGER BRAKE SEALS

Subject: Re: Europa-List: FINGER BRAKE SEALS
From: ivor.phillips <ivor.phillips@ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:10:42

Karl
DOT 5 Silicone brake fluid is combatable with both types of seals i.e.
Buna-N-(Nitrile)  and Ethylene-Proplene,

DOT 3/4/5.1 (five point one) is glycol based and should only be used with
Ethylene- Proplene seals.

The Automotive seals SP2044 and SP3694 are made of Ethylene-Proplene , So
DOT3/4/5.1 (five point one) Or Silicone DOT 5 (five) is acceptable.

MATCO Brake caliper Seals are made of Buna-N-Nitrile and will use MIL-H5606
hydraulic fluid Or ATF automatic transmission fluid OR DOT5 (five)Silicone
fluid

Your choice is to CHANGE ALL YOUR SEALS TO Ethylene-Proplene and use Glycol
based DOT 3/4/5.1(five point one)  THE PREFERRED OPTION IMHO,  THAT'S WHAT I
HAVE DONE USING GLYCOL DOT 5.1 (FIVE POINT ONE)   Or use Silicone DOT
5(FIVE)

OR CHANGE ALL YOUR SEALS TO Buna-N(Nitrile) which will use MIL-H5606 or ATF
automatic transmission fluid or Silicone DOT 5 (five)

HAVE A MIXTURE OF BOTH TYPES OF SEALS IN THE ONE SYSTEM MEANS YOU MUST USE
SILICONE DOT 5 (FIVE)
I hope that clears the misunderstanding
regards
Ivor Phillips
XS486 London UK
CM Installed, rudder cables complete,
trial fit top and wings,Undercarriage fitted,playing with tie bar