Europa-List: Control Lock

Subject: Europa-List: Control Lock
From: RICHARD IDDON <riddon@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:05:07

I can claim no credit for this idea, it is a copy of the gust-lock
mentioned by Peter Zutrauen from Ontario.  The original was made in
aluminium but I have made a similar item from 22mm. domestic plastic
overflow piping, two T pieces and a length of shock cord.

What I constructed is a T about 12 in. across and 18 in. long. I cut
part of the pipe away at each end of the head of the T so that it sits
over the rudder pedals. I fitted a second T piece at the foot of the leg
at right angles to the head then cut half of the vertical section of
this T piece away to leave a U section which fits against the stick. I
drilled a couple of holes in the underside of my panel and threaded a
piece of =BC in. shock cord through so that it lies out of the way on the
underside of the panel when not in use.

To use the lock simply drop it over the two pedals, place the stick into
the U section and pull the shock cord over the stick, taking as turn
around the top to stop it moving from side to side.

It does allow a little movement in the control surfaces but stops them
---From banging About in the wind.

Cost me pennies, weigh just an ounce or two and took less than an hour
to make and fit.

Peter sent me a sketch of the original which I would be pleased to
forward on to anyone interested.

Richard Iddon. G-RIXS   Hoping to make it to Caernarvon tomorrow weather
permitting.