Re: Europa-List: Aircraft painting

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Aircraft painting
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:41:07

Erich Trombley wrote:

> Here it is the big secret on painting and primers....

(lots of good stuff snipped)

> The color coat is then wet sanded (1,000 grit), thus removing
> even more weight and surface imperfections, prior to the
> application of the clear coat.

I'd advise doing that only if paint mfr says it's OK.  One major paint
mfr says clear over base within so many hours, else trouble.  I tried
what you did once, but the clear failed in about 5 years, just like the
mfr said it might.

I'd like to add that the paints you cited are available from the major
mfr's as automotive coatings, and I think it's a stretch to say one brand
is superior for our purposes nor has much changed, based on many I've
used periodically since 1960.

Also, I've tried to find product literature that says what's really
special about their "aerospace coatings."  Only luck so far is the
military cites problems with leading edge abrasion (from dust) on
supersonic aircraft, and the Space Shuttle gets hit with major UV.

Reg,
Fred F.