Europa-List: How do these wheels work

Subject: Europa-List: How do these wheels work
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:58:50

Gidday,
I have a set of Grove wheels and have 2 questions about them for my
taildragger mains. Where the wheel halves join, there is a 1/2" dia hole
that allows the middle of the wheel to breath. I have realised it is
covered normally with tyre and tube, so I am now wondering if this hole is
to do with equalising pressure within the wheel to ensure it doesn't
squeeze the bearing grease out? Might be a long shot, but I am stumped.
There is also a small black rubber grommet on the wheel rim that provides
access to the same void within the wheel halves. No instructions, no real
idea other than allowing the hub to breath. So, why these holes?? Pity
sending pictures around wasn't a bit easier all round.
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia

Classic 236  B.B. Taildragger (possibly convertible)
Tail, Wings, Ailerons, Flaps Complete and Connected
Lower Fuse in Jig, Tail Torque Tube installed
Mass Balance assembly installed and deflections sorted
Intended Engine: 912S CS prop (model undecided)
Instrumentation: Undecided