Europa-List: 914 power settings

Subject: Europa-List: 914 power settings
From: Dave Anderson <dja767@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 08:18:10

Hi Jim,

Just for your information, I have operated the 914 engine now for 170 hours
including
the flight back to OSH last year. Since I have the high aspect ratio wings,
I tend to operate at lower power settings, sometimes at zero! I learned on
the trip to OSh that the airplane engine likes to run at the higher power
settings.
When I fly locally, the exhaust tends to get black and I have more fouling
plug problems. When I get up and running for an extended time at the 30 inch
setting - where it was designed to run (ie 100% ,max continuous - and that
does mean continuous) it runs very clean. You can almost eat off the inside of
the exhaust.

Lycoming engines have the same thing in effect - they allow 100% power for
takeoff,
but you cannot run the engine at that setting forever. 75% is the max. If
somebody wants to feel better, just take the numbers and convert 115% to 100%.
Then one can takeoff at 100% and have a max cruise of 87%. OR you can takeoff
in your lycoming at 133% and use max cruise of 100%.

I use 30 to 32 inches and 5,000 rpm when I am cruising up there in the thin air.

Dave
A227
Mini U2
170TT and counting