Re: Europa-List: ammeters

Subject: Re: Europa-List: ammeters
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:53:45

Paul Stewart wrote:

> ...Given that a suitable instrument seems to be so rare am
> I barking up the wrong tree. Indeed should I not worry about
> bringing the battery feed to the bus via a panel mounted ammeter?

In a small plastic airplane, it doesn't matter much, just don't bundle
wires with it that are sensitive to noise pickup.  For weight, cost, and
panache, can't beat a tiny LCD digital panel meter.  As little as $10 on
surplus market, necessary floating power supply is a DC-DC converter (better
ones $1.50), plus a few cheap components.  Shunt on mine is just a parallel
pair of .006 ohm resistors in the bus feed, losing some accuracy vs. ambient
temp, but they're only 50-cents.... And for accomplished 'tronic geeks,
the beauty part is the ease of adding high amps/discharge alarm circuitry.

Regards,
Fred F.