Europa-List: 912s Temps

Subject: Europa-List: 912s Temps
From: P.A.D.Clarke <paddyclarke@lineone.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:48:26

Hi All,
                I have an XS with a Rotax 912s and have been following the
discussion
of 914 temperatures with interest, as I have the opposite problem. In winter
in the U.K. the cooling seems to be too efficient is the cruise, so I have
been experimenting with blanking off the coolers. My rotax Operators manual
gives the normal operating oil temp as between 90 & 110 deg C., so a target to
aim at would seem to be 100 deg C.. No normal operating C.H.T.s are given -
would 100 deg C. seem good for these as well?
                Trying to get up to these temps requires blocking off more than
half the coolers, and this then reduces the operating time on the ground and
on the climb before the temperatures rise uncomfortably high, even on the
coldest
days. In view of this compromise, has anyone got any advice as to what minimum
oil temp and C.H.Ts it would be advisable to use in the cruise? I have seen
the oil temp down to 65 deg C. on a very cold day. Would it be wise to
occasionally
go to climb power, to try to raise the temp, or would this cycling just
cause extra stress on the engine? Or would it help to fly faster ( or slower
! ) to try to increase the temps?.
                Ideally it would be best to have a manually operated door to cut
the air flow through the coolers in cruise. Has anyone out there developed
something
like this for the XS ? - I know it's been done for the classic.
                All advice would be gratefully received,
                        Cheers, Paddy Clarke