Re: Europa-List: Gear retraction test

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Gear retraction test
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:21:03

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul McAllister" <paul.mcallister@qia.net>
Subject: Europa-List: Gear retraction test
 Hi all,
 Now that my Europa is out of its cradle and on its  own legs retracting the
gear is not as simple any more.  I was wondering what the best practices are
out there.  My current thinking is to make up some saw horses with the top
sloping equal to the wing dihedral and placing them right under the spars.
Padded of course.
 Ideas anyone ? - Paul

Paul,
            I have the same dilemma. I think only the boys at Europa can
safely comment (not to denigrate any of our fellow aerodynamicists).
            I believe it depends upon the changes you plan after the
sawhorse procedure. Obviously, this is a living creature, bending with the
forces it encounters. I figured any process which affects the shape of the
fuselage at wing attachment must be done with the aircraft enduring the
forces expected. If you place the horses (or any support) too far inboard
the weight of wings will effect a change in the shape - the same attends
support at the tips.
            I'm too stupid to visualize the proper effect, but think it
should be considered. I think it involves [a] intended work and [b] winglift
site.
            You did say, "Ideas anyone?"
Cheers, Ferg