Europa-List: Kodak 35mm containers

Subject: Europa-List: Kodak 35mm containers
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:36:54

Sorry - but I have to get this off my chest before I go another step.
CAUTION - it is a ranting.
I discovered that Kodak (amongst others) seems to have standardized on its
35mm film containers. I often wondered what to do with them when finished -
and discovered that so did most of the local photo shops. I was building my
workshop at the time and wanted a suction duct for sawdust control to circle
to room to a large mobile vacuum bin.
WELL, it turns out that both Kodak and the vacuum company had centred on
1-1/4 inches for a handy diameter on which to standardize their functions -
Kodak OD and vacuum OD and ID............ So I strung a 3-inch duct around
the walls and drilled 1-1/4inch holes where machines would demand the vacuum
when in use. When not used, I plugged the local holes with Kodak cylinders.
AH, but then every time I ran into "1-1/4 inches" as a measurement, Mr.
Eastman sprang to mind - and it's surprising what developed....... For
instance, the flap actuating rod protruding from the fuselage through slots
is exactly that diameter, so I'm using the Kodaks to position and plug the
holes I drill. As a corollary, I use the 35mm tubs for mixing bowls in any
under 25 gram mixes, let alone storing precious parts and long lengths of
rolled-up 2" BiD bits for future glassing projects. The usual 35mm bin will
just hold 55 inches of same - the length of a one-meter glass roll at 45
degrees cut.
WHAT is intriguing is: The local shops will gladly fill your shopping bag
with the little b****rs so there's no problem finding them NOW. ........
because photo shops are going digital, but soon folks will stop making 35mm
film in favour of electronic finishing (my guess) and there go the little
That's why I wrote this.
Cheers, Ferg