Europa-List: Friction in the Finger Brake Master Cylinders

Subject: Europa-List: Friction in the Finger Brake Master Cylinders
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:26:45

Gidday,
I have read about the sticky nature of these levers, so I read around and
found out the following. The brake fluid DOT 5.1 is half as viscous as DOT
4, and the other petroleum based fluids. This means a system filled with
DOT 5.1 provides quicker lever response, better modulation and faster pad
retraction When servicing, the lower viscosity facilitates bleeding and pad
adjustment. It also doesn't rot paint if it leaks out!! I reckon this is a
good one alone. Also, the seals is the issue. The Jamar brake cylinder has
Buna N seals, and so too do my Grove brakes, therefore I suppose also this
may be the case for Clevelands and others. Buna N seems to be taking over
because it will take silicone based and petroleum based fluids, plus a
bunch of others.
I think I'll give it a go.

More on the Jamar master cylinder-

OK,
The manufacturer is Jamar performance products. Link below. The phone
contact is Frank. Nice and friendly. The master cylinder is model no.
US2002X. The seals are Buna N seals, compatible with Dot 3,5,8 , ATF
fluid?? and therefore most synthetic fluids.
To clean out the cylinder he recommends hot soapy water. I have found
acetone bath is good too with a toothbrush, except obviously on the seals.
The end holes are 1/8" NPT. The grub screws are to seal the external sides
of the 2 chambers which are linked by a small hole that passes sideways
right through component. The grub screws should be locktited in position
and do not need to be removed for servicing, unless of course you feel that
the hole between the chambers might have become compromised in service.
Thats it for now.
http://jamarperformance.com/Default.htm
Click Here, down to products, Steering. ..........your there.

Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia

Classic 236  B.B. Taildragger (possibly convertible)
Tail, Wings, Ailerons, Flaps Complete and Connected
Lower Fuse in Jig, Tail Torque Tube installed
Mass Balance assembly installed and deflections sorted
Intended Engine: 912S CS prop (model undecided)
Instrumentation: Undecided