Re: Europa-List: Hydraulic Line Advice???

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Hydraulic Line Advice???
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:13:41

> I was wondering if people have advice regarding tube selection
> and fittings for brake lines from the park brake to the gear
> legs? Any help greatfully received.
>
> Reg
> Tony Renshaw
> Sydney Australia

I used aluminum (soft 3030) tubing and AN fittings on my tri-gear. The reason is
fear (valid or not) that after setting my hydraulic parking brakes, heat from
the disc transfers to the cylinder, heats the fluid and expands it.  And by
softening the plastic tubing, pushes it a bit out of its connector each cycle,
to someday pop on brake application.  All I know for sure is this heat
phenomenon
is real, as on the other plane it causes the mechanical parking brake
arrangement
to lock up solid, so you have to invert your body to go down behind the
rudders pedals to release them, looking like a dork on a busy airport ramp.
The first certificated, production A/C I see with plastic brake lines might
modify my thinking here! Or automobile for that matter.

Regards,
Fred F.