Europa-List: TIre pressure

Subject: Europa-List: TIre pressure
From: Dave Anderson <dja767@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:01:27

TO the question of tire pressure:

The book says to inflate to 18 psi. I would  get constant questions from
observers
that the tire looked low - check it and it would be 18 psi. I finally decided
to add more air - to 25 psi. The airplane rose noticeably and I figured it
would help in cross winds. On the takeoff roll, it became VERY apparent that
this was not the thing to do. The directional control was significantly more
difficult
and I had one of my more exciting landings as well.

It turns out that the inflation of the tire is a critical parameter. When at 18
psi, there is a damping effect of the tire - sort of like steering a car with
a low tire vs a fully inflated tire. When returning to the normal tire pressure,
all returned to normal. I am now up to 199 landings with no problems other
than learning curve problems.

The Europa is a well designed airplane and they have thought things through very
carefully - including tire pressure!

Dave
Mini U2
A227