Europa-List: Europa Finger Brake Master Cylinder

Subject: Europa-List: Europa Finger Brake Master Cylinder
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 17:23:17

> Hi Tony and Karl
>
> I have the factory finger brakes (less the tunnel mount as I have my own
> tunnel design).  I helped a little with the development as I was working on
> finger brakes as the factory was developing the mod.  I have made Andy aware
> that supplying 6mm tubing for use with 1/4in (6.33mm) fittings is not the
> best solution and as far as I know he is thinking about it.  At present I
> have left the 6mm tube but may replace it with 1/4in Polyflow at some stage.
> As it is it is far to easy to accidentally pull a tube out of a connector
> particularly at the calliper down by the wheels.  Also, As Karl said you
> have to be careful when tightening the nut so that the olive doesn't tilt
>
> I have had a lot of trouble with the piston only returning very slowly to
> the maximum back position.  Like Karl I have tried my best with cleaning and
> lubricating to fix it but with only partial success.  It is nice to hear
> that Karl may have found a solution and it would be a great help if he would
> give us the details of the replacement seals.
>

> Ian Rickard  #505 G-IANI
> Europa Club Assistant Mods Rep
> e-mail mods@europaclub.org.uk

I had this problem when I changed a master cylinder. I had fitted the seal
in such a way that it was bent back on itself and was jamming between the
piston and the bore. A more careful re-insertion of the piston with the
seals cured it.

The spring is just fine but it is hard to push against the spring and hold
the shaft at the same time. I fitted the lever to the piston shaft first and
then pushed against an immovable object to get the "bottom" (pivot) pin in
place. Check you are pushing it in from the right side as it is a pain to do
and even more of a pain to redo if you put it in the wrong way round !

The best lubricant is the brake fluid you are going to use !

Whoops - I am talking about the standard single master cylinders, and I now
see, on re-reading, that you were talking about the factory dual master
cylinder. Oh well my last paragraph applies anyway !

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                                 email : rholder@avnet.co.uk
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, EGSG (Stapleford)
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)