Europa-List: Brake shims ??

Subject: Europa-List: Brake shims ??
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:59:13

I am busy with my annual inspection and have just removed my brake
caliper. The pads as usual are showing some wear and I will replace them
 no problem. However, I have noticed on this and previous occasions
that the pads wear more heavily at the outer edge due, no doubt, to the
fact that about 30% of the piston area does not bear on the LG23
pressure plate. This causes the piston to skew and apply uneven pressure
to the plate and pad.

Coincidently, I have just read Peter Waughs article in the March 2004
Europa Flyer and saw a reference to brake shims. I have not seen any
reference to such items before and I am wondering if these are intended
to fix the uneven wear problem. Could somebody please explain what these
'brake shims' are ??

Cheers, John

N262WF
Mono XS, 912S