Re: Europa-List: 914 Starting tips

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 Starting tips
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 11:19:50

Greetings all,

First off, I must say I have no personal experience with the 914. However, I
do own and operate a couple of powered planes, a 1965 Citabria and a 1969
Piper Pawnee. Both have Lycoming engines and I've had some troubles keeping the

batteries at peak charge when the sit for a while, particularly in cold weather,

leading to starting problems.

At the advice of the previous owner of my Pawnee, as he did with the Pawnee,
I installed an EZ Heat oil heater on my Citabria and use it even in the summer

months to get the oil up to about 140 F before starting. The heater is
usually set on a timer, so it's ready when I decide to fly. This definitely
makes
difference! EZ Heat makes one that will fit the 912/914. They run about $125
and are very easy to install. It's just a heating pad that bonds to the bottom

of the engine and plugs into any 110v outlet. The Pawnee also has a Tanis
block heater installed. I don't think they make one for Rotax, though.

I use battery maintainers on both airplanes to keep the battery charged
without causing sulfate problems within the battery from constant charging that
"normal" battery charger would do. These maintainers are available in the US at

Batteries Plus for about $50. They keep the battery "peaked", but once the
peak voltage threshold is reached the charging stops. If the battery voltage
drops below a predetermined level, the charger kicks on until the battery is
peaked again. This way you have a hot battery even if the airplane has been
sitting for a while. My experience has been they've worth every penny.

Works fine, lasts a long time. Guaranteed to not rust, dust, bust or roll up
the hill backwards when provoked.

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN