Europa-List: [PLEASE READ] Virus Laden Spam Purports To Be From Matronic

Subject: Europa-List: [PLEASE READ] Virus Laden Spam Purports To Be From Matronics...
From: Matt Dralle <dralle@matronics.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 19:49:29

Dear Listers,

First let me say that I normally don't condone the sharing of warnings
about Internet viruses on the Matronics Email Lists.  I don't want to
start a storm of discussion regarding computer viruses on the Lists, so
please just note the information below and refrain from commenting to
the List.  The circumstances I describe below are disturbing enough
that I felt an explanation is necessary.  That being said...

There is a new email-bourne virus running rampant on the Internet that
is cleverly disguising itself as legitimate email warning of such
things as:

  "your email account is disabled because of unauthorized access"

  "Some  of our clients complained  about the  spam  (negative e-mail
   content) outgoing from  your  e-mail account"

  "Probably, you have been infected by a proxy-relay trojan  server. In
   order to keep your computer safe, follow the instructions."

  "Our main mailing server will be temporary  unavailable for next two
   days, to continue receiving mail  in these  days you  have to
   configure our free auto-forwarding  service."

All of these messages include an attachment that you are instructed to
click upon to "Get more information", "clean the virus from your
system", or "check your system for infections".

These enclosures all contain a virus that will infect your system and
propagate even more copies of the original message.

The disturbing part of these messages is that they appear to be coming
---From very legitimate addresses and have very legitimate, convincing
dialog.  For example, I have received a number of them today that
appear to be from "support@matronics.com", "management@matronics.com",
"administration@matronics.com", and "staff@matronics.com".

The text of the messages seems believable enough, and given the forged
source address, seem even more legitimate.

Please be assured that no one at Matronics.com will be sending you
these kinds of messages.  If you receive one, it is a spam/virus that
has forged headers and was sent to you from someone other than
Matronics.  Delete the message and the attachment promptly.  Invest in
a copy of Norton Antivirus and keep the definitions up dated on a daily
basis.

Again, I want to stress that I *DO NOT* want a big discussion of
viruses on the Matronics Email Lists.  Please do not reply to this
email with any comments.  You may write to me directly at
dralle@matronics.com if you wish, but do not include the List.

Since many of these appear to come from matronics.com, I wanted to
assure everyone that Matronics wasn't the real source of these messages.

Let's be careful out there and keep those virus definitions up to date!
Today alone, the Matronics spam filter and virus blocking appliance
has filtered out 11,550 spam messages and 375 viruses!  That's just in
an 18 hour period!

Best regards,

Matt Dralle
Matronics Email List Administrator

--

Matt G. Dralle | Matronics | P.O. Box 347 | Livermore | CA | 94551
925-606-1001 Voice | 925-606-6281 FAX | dralle@matronics.com Email