Re: Europa-List: Chamfering access panels

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Chamfering access panels
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 08:20:03

In a message dated 2/9/2004 7:33:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tonyrenshaw@optusnet.com.au writes:

> I was wondering if there's a simple tool &technique to chamfering the edges
>
> >around the access panels around the tailplane. Page 23-3 of the manual says

> >to chamfer back 10-15mm at about 45 degrees which looks doable, just
> >wondering what's the best tool to use to do this without going all the way
> >through the skin. Thanks,
> >
> >Dan
> >A144
> >Tucson, AZ

Hi Dan,

Dremel makes a router attachment for their motor tool. I've found that it
works great to remove outter skin and foam, but leave the inside skin intact. I

use a 1/4" deburring bit with a flat end so it won't cut through the inner
glass. You set the depth to just under the thickness of the foam. After you
remove

the foam with the Dremel chamfering is easy with 60 grit on a block. This
also works great if you're building a trigear and have to put in the hardpoint

for the flap actuator.

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN