RE: Europa-List: Europa Wiring Harness

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Europa Wiring Harness
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:49:40

Oh yes, I do indeed have a recommendation, having found out the hard way.

Unless you are absolutely certain where everything else will be located on
either side of the firewall do not drill any holes for the wiring yet,
including those to mount the ground terminal strip.  As in a few other
instances (such as the Europa fuel drain valve kit that puts the drains
under the specified location for the battery - gee, that was a clever one)
the factory ignores the possibility of a builder installing something not
included with the kit, so you must plan ahead.

Whether or not you follow the factory's recommendation check that the
firewall end of the harness will clear the instrument panel molding on the
starboard side.  I ran the harness along the starboard side just under the
door sill and located the brass bolts just above the starboard footwell but
had to cut the panel molding for clearance.  Since the bolts could not be
installed any lower on the firewall I don't see how cutting the molding
could have been avoided.

The harness is quite a bit longer than needed if the firewall pass through
bolts are located per the factory.  I expect to cut the #4 cables shorter by
about 2 feet to avoid having an unnecessary loop at the battery.  If you
elect to place the pass through bolts anywhere else keep in mind that the #4
cables forward of the firewall are rather short thus limiting your choice of
locations.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Europa XS Tri-Gear A070