Europa-List: Metal Drills Catching Cont'd

Subject: Europa-List: Metal Drills Catching Cont'd
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:22:51

Gidday,
I forgot to mention, I am using a torque"e" hand drill. Too much rpm and "if it
catches I am in trouble". Too little rpm and it catches straight away. Can I
file the thread flat, parrallel to the long axis of the drill bit, a bit like a
perspex drill. I am drilling soft aluminium.
Reg
Tony Renshaw

Can anyone tell me a quick tip to stop drill bits catching when opening up
metal holes to a larger diameter????

Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia

Classic 236  B.B. Taildragger (possibly convertible)
Tail, Wings, Ailerons, Flaps Complete and Connected
Lower Fuse in Jig, Tail Torque Tube installed
Mass Balance assembly installed and deflections sorted
Intended Engine: 912S or a "turboed single rotor rotary, when I am dreaming"
Instrumentation: Undecided