Re: Europa-List: Engine options

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Engine options
From: Jim Brown <acrojim@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 08:25:48

Hi Neville,

Let me add to your posting.

I was in Lakeland couple weeks ago to attend a RV fly-in. There was a Rotary
installed
on an RV, and when it was started every one on the field knew it. It sounded
very loud, and to me like the gear box did not have any oil in it.
However I'm not sure it even has a gear box.

In looking at the belly of the a/c it would appear that it leaked as much oil as
it burned gas.

These are my observations, as this is the only Rotary I have seen installed in
an aircraft , I cannot comment on the good or bad points of the engine.

Jim Brown
N398JB

Neville Eyre wrote:

> Hi ALL,
> For those of you thinking of going with the Norton / Mid West Wankel, forget
it !
> The fuel burn was half as much again as a 912 [ same journey, same speed ] the
nearly total loss oil lubrication system deposited huge quantities of very
expensive
oil down the belly of the aircraft, and the noise was horrific.
> We struggled for nearly two years to get it to run nicely, without hicking /
popping / burping, [which improoved ones airmanship, because you were allways
picking into wind fields ahead, ''just in case''].
> The light weight was it's only good point, but even that was a disadvantage
> when
we eventually removed it, if it had been heavier, we could have used it as
a boat anchor !