SV: Europa-List: Flap Travel

Subject: SV: Europa-List: Flap Travel
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 19:27:35

Alan,

Your message stated that you are expecting 30 degrees of flap.  Actually, on
the trigear the max. flap setting shall be between 25 and 27 degrees, ref.
Annex E, page 4 (in my trigear manual, which is Issue 1, 30 May 1998).  You
may have been mislead by the instruction in chapter 28, step 2, to mark the
slots in the fuselage sides to approx. 30 degrees down, and subsequent
instruction to cut the slot to allow full movement of the cross-tube (which
in my case meant to approx. 32 degrees before the stopper on the flap hinge
arm limited it (I had not read Annex E at that time!).  For those not yet at
this stage:  Mark your manual re. this, so you avoid cutting the slot too
far down and having to close it up with bid and flox, as I had to do!

My actuator has the same travel as yours - 98.0 mm or just shy of 3 7/8
inches - which gives me a flap deflection of 25.7 degrees.

With 24.5 degrees, and assuming everything else is fine, you may ask Europa
whether this is acceptable - my guess is that it will be OK (I assume you
are using a digital protractor.  Had you used an old fashioned mechanical
one, you would probably have measured 25 degrees and had no worries to begin
with!).

Good luck!

Regards,
Svein