Re: Europa-List: Kitty Hawk

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Kitty Hawk
From: Jeff Roberts <jeff@rmmm.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:43:33

on 12/17/03 7:10 AM, Alex Kaarsberg at kaarsber@terra.com.br wrote:

> The Wright brothers also did not have the required observers and
> employed a katapult in order to make their contraption `fly. (Reportedly)
> Their flight was not recognized by the French academy until sometime in
> the 20s, presumably when US clout had reached its necessary momentum.
> There is a lot of arguments not to believe the Wright story, but why
> ruin a day that has been prepared for so well...
>
> One of the biggest achivements of the USA is that of historical
> engineering, something Hollywood and its likes have perfected along the
> years- although they did not invent it- they may come up one day with
> that claim too :-)

There are no arguments not to believe the Wright story unless youre going
by hearsay. The only thing the Wrights did was invent the worlds first
efficient prop, the first engine that would be light enough to use in an
airplane, and the first fixed wing fully controllable airplane. They flew it
---From a runway without a Catapult, documented it with photos and witnesses.
Given the time and lack of past research to go by it was an astounding feet.
Oh did I mention they also invented wind tunnel research.
As far as it taking 20 years for the French beaurocracy to finally
understand the truth. Whats New!

Jeff
A258