Re: Europa-List: Firewall heat shield.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Firewall heat shield.
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:54:54

Hi Jeff,
Early in our build (XS mono-wheel with 912S) we heard stories of heat
---From the engine compartment getting into the foot wells (smoking the
carpeting?!) and in front of the instrument panel, heating up the
radios, etc.  We decided to put cool mat on our firewall to keep out
this heat.
With 300+ hours on our plane, I would strongly recommend some form of
insulation on the firewall.  We had temperatures of up to 450 degF at
the front of the footwell, melting tie wraps into drops of nylon.
Although we have since reduced those extreme temperatures to less than
300 degF, that is still pretty warm.
With all the temperature extremes we have had, there has never been
noticable heat into the cabin or instrument panel.

There is more info on our temperature problems and solutions at:
http://www.europa-usa.com/n135TD.htm

regards,
Terry Seaver
A135 / N135TD