Re: Europa-List: Re: Stall Warning device errors

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Stall Warning device errors
From: Carl & Dot <carlp@ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:46:26

The Europa stall warner, as supplied by the factory is not a leading edge
vane but a hole drilled in the leading-edge of the wing which detects
changes in pressure.

---From our own experience of this particular stall warner there is no
discernible difference in the warning given whether the flats are up or
down.  We recently conducted our annual test flight and both with the flaps
up and down the warning buzzer sounded five knots prior to the stall.

The stall warner is activated by a pressure switch which is manually
adjusted when the stall warner is initially setup.  We were lucky, and no
adjustment was ever necessary, but it is my opinion that there is such a
dramatic change in pressure when the wing is on point of stalling that the
very coarse adjustment would be required to make any difference. I may be
wrong in this assumption and if anyone knows differently perhaps they would
say.

For my money a five knot warning is more than adequate and with Europa this
seems to be true whether the flats are up or down. Whether this is a factor
relating to the Europa factory stall warner or to the design of the Europa
classic wing I do not know.