Europa-List: EIS panel suggestions

Subject: Europa-List: EIS panel suggestions
From: Europa Aircraft <europa@gate.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:19:47

Hi All,

I have been getting a lot of calls at the US office lately requesting guidance
for installing engine instruments.

There are some neat new products available, like the EIS mentioned below.  The
EIS is a great way to monitor a large number of engine parameters previously
impossible
to do with analog gages.

The EIS, however, it not as easy to read as an analog instrument.  Our engines
are not cheap, and our butts are worth even more, so I strongly recommend that
for the most important engine parameters, easy to read analog gages be installed
in an area easy for the pilot to spot.  Examples are the Tachometer, hottest
CHT, Oil Pressure, and Manifold Pressure for constant speed props.  It is much
easier to spot a fluxing, or dropping oil pressure needle than to spot, or
page to the number on an EIS.  Once the red light comes on there will not be
as much time left to find a place to land.

For a 914 you also need to have something that tells you the difference between
fuel pressure & boost pressure in the same units - ex, both in inches of
mercury,
or pounds per square inch.  I am working with an instrument manufacturer
to make a single gage that does this to save space, but don't have one yet.
Rotax
recommends a twin MP gage for this, but they only come in 3 1/4.

Another reason for installing engine instruments is noted below.  If the monitor
fails, then there is no way to tell what the engine is doing.

Finally, these instruments are cheap, as little as $35 each.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

John Hurst
Europa Aircraft
Lakeland, FL