RE: Europa-List: fuel system

Subject: RE: Europa-List: fuel system
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:04:03

Let's go with the best two out of three.  But seriously, the parallel
arrangement (as I too have done it) is simpler, with fewer components, which
meets my requirements for good engineering.  I haven't a clue why the Rotax
folks would change from parallel to series, and can not think of a single
advantage to running two pumps in series, unless the pumps used in series
are so puny as to need a two stage arrangement just to get sufficient
pressure - and that would be really bad engineering for something essential
to keeping the big fan turning.

I have searched the "Publication Index for ROTAX Aircraft Engines" at the
Rotax web site and found no Service Bulletins that even mention the 914 fuel
pump nor any indication that there is a need to change from parallel to
series plumbing.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Europa XS Tri-Gear A070