Re: Europa-List: Light weight fill

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Light weight fill
From: rlborger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 07:48:16

Ron,

My experience and my experience only.  No endorsements, your mileage
may vary, etc.

My EAA Tech Advisor recommended picking a complete system (filler,
primer, paint) from a single provider for the finish work on my Europa.
  He said he didn't care who or what, but in his considerable
experience, the best results came from a system that was designed to
work together from start to finish.

I chose to go with the PolyFiber line of products: SuperFil, UV Smooth
Prime and Aerothane.  So far, in my limited tests on filling and
priming control surfaces, they seem to work just fine.  I have not
tried to apply the Aerothane yet.  I have read of folks having
difficulties with some of the individual products so I won't know how
it all works together until I get some final finish applied.

Specifically, my experience with SuperFil has been excellent.  It is a
lot easier to apply and a heck of a lot more consistent to work with
than mixing your own expancel/epoxy.  With only a light scuff sand for
prep, it adheres well, works well and sands easily.  DO NOT APPLY EPOXY
BEFORE APPLYING SUPERFIL.  It won't help and only adds weight.

UV Smooth Prime works well enough.  I have found that it doesn't fill
pin holes as easily as claimed when applied with a roller.  Takes a lot
of work and sanding (probably something common to any finishing).  But
it does sand easily and uniformly.  It may apply better by spray.  Some
day, I hope to acquire an HVLP sprayer so I can try it out.  UV Smooth
Prime does stick to anything and everything.  BOY does it stick.  If
necessary, SuperFil can be applied over UV Smooth Prime.

I can't speak for any other products.  I'll be interested in hearing
other folks comments.

Happy building,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL (40%)