Europa-List: RE: Com Radio Antenna Problem

Subject: Europa-List: RE: Com Radio Antenna Problem
From: STOUT GARRY V CSFF2 <garrys@att.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:23:50

Hi guys,

I'm hoping some of our very talented team of builders can give me some
advice on a unique Com radio antenna setup I am planning.  I've been
flying my trigear now for 4 years and have never been happy with the
transmit and receive distances I'm getting from my radio......a Garmin
250 XL GPS/Com unit.  Initially I installed the Bob Archer antenna, but
after a year or so I wasn't happy with the performance and switched to a
Comat "general aviation" type antenna.  I built an aluminum ground plane
about 8" wide and 20" long which I installed inside the fuselage behind
the bulkhead.  The Comat antenna was mated to that ground plane.  I got
better performance than with the Bob Archer, but still I think I should
be doing better than a 15 mile maximum range.  I had the radio bench
checked, and the coax cable checked by an avionics shop, and they
pronounced everything in good working order.  Their suggestion was to
glass in a copper wire mesh ground plane to the bottom inside of the
fuselage, and then to mount the antenna EXTERNALLY under the belly of
the plane.  A couple of questions arise.  Has anyone else ever tried
this?  What were the results?  and more importantly, what should the
dimensions be for the copper wire mesh (screen)?  I was thinking that
the larger the better, but there may be some technical calculation that
I'm unaware of that would dictate a particular size.  Any and all
comments and advice will be appreciated.  Thanks!

Regards,

Garry V. Stout
N4220S  Tri A060