Re: Europa-List: Easiest way to inspect landing gear and swing it?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Easiest way to inspect landing gear and swing it?
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:51:06

We jack the plane using a hydraulic floor jack and a jacking block under
the main gear leg (see http://www.europa-usa.com/n135TD.htm, "Mono-wheel
jacking block", for a description).  We then slide concrete blocks under
the wings, with blue foam pads to protect the surface.  Position the
blocks at the roots immediately under the spars.  Before lowering and
removing the jack you should attach some weight to the tail, since the
COG is forward of the main spars.  Before jacking, we pull the tail
planes off and set the tail plane torque tubes on saw horses, then hang
a bucket of sandbags from the tail wheel to keep it down once the jack
is removed from under the main gear leg. The saw horses keep the plane
more or less level while working on it while on the blocks.

regards,
Terry Seaver
A135