RE: Europa-List: metric drill bits

Subject: RE: Europa-List: metric drill bits
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:34:08

4.2mm = 0.1654 inch and #19 = 0.1660 (close enough) but there is no
fractional diameter close enough (although the manual calls out 11/64 as the
"equivalent" in the only mention of drilling holes this size, which is to
mount the trim servo).

4.8mm = 0.1980 inch and #12 = 0.1980 (exact) and the nearest fractional size
is 3/16 = 0.1875 which is most likely too small, especially since most of
the 4.8mm holes are for bolts that require a snug fit - don't use "close
enough" for these holes.

10.2mm = 0.4016 inch and Ltr Y = 0.4040 (probably close enough, especially
for the tapped holes for flap pins and lift pins) but there is no fractional
diameter close enough

12mm = 0.4724 inch and the closest fractional is 15/32 = 0.4688 (probably
close enough, especially for a clearance hole for the lift pin sockets,
which I did not need to drill)

Also mentioned in the manual are:

For rivet holes, 2.4mm = 0.0945, with the closest equivalents of 3/32 0.0938 and
#41 = 0.0960

For the fuel selector valve spindle, 8.0mm = 0.3150 with the closest
equivalent Ltr O = 0.3160 (close is certainly good enough for this one, and
even 3/8 would work fine)

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Europa XS Tri-Gear A070