Europa-List: Fitting Rudder Pushrod Fitting CS29

Subject: Europa-List: Fitting Rudder Pushrod Fitting CS29
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 00:30:55

>We ended up with a slight opening/gap on the port side when the rudder is
>centered.
>With our mono-wheel installation, we found the ground handling VERY
>challenging
>with the 2:1 ratio to the tail wheel. After a ground loop fairly early in
>flight
>testing, we modified the bell crank at the rear bulkhead for a 1:1 ratio.
>Our tail wheel travel went from nearly +- 90 deg to +- 45 deg of travel.
>Ground
>handling became much more manageable after the
>change.

There are two other things to check in this scenario,
1. tailplane position at full back stick MUST be at least 5 degrees nose up
with the tail on the ground, ie still pressing down on the tailwheel. If it
isn't the tailwheel will have little authority when the rudder loses power
at low speed.
2. the spring tension should be low enough to allow full rudder deflection
without forcing the tailwheel to it's full deflection.

The third criteria is technique of course. All these adjustments are a
compromise, you need to choose one that suits your operating conditions and
experience. Grass? Tarmac? etc?
Graham

---