Re: Europa-List: replacement of the current Europa tyre

Subject: Re: Europa-List: replacement of the current Europa tyre
From: nigel charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:16:51

Like Tony I used the Mcreary 7.00 x 6 tyre which works well. You will have
to decide for yourself whether you get adequate prop clearance. I am using
64" blades on a Classic monowheel. The recommendation is 62" for Classic and
64" for XS as the engine is mounted 1" higher in the XS. Unladen I get 11"
prop clearance instead of the normal 12". Even with the aircraft laden it
would require a significant nose down pitch for the prop to strike the
ground. Many prop strikes are caused by nosing over during groundloops. In
this situation it is unlikely that a prop strike could be averted as the
aircraft tends to continue pitching until the prop strikes whatever the
original clearance. It might make a difference if the tail is lifted by a
gust of wind or excessive brake is used. In both these cases quick control

Nigel Charles