Re: Europa-List: Fuel fires

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel fires
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@btclick.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 03:10:36

If ever proof were needed as to the efficiency of this arrangement for
allowing a volatile fuel/air mixture through, while preventing the
propagation of a flame front, you need look no further than the "flame
traps" fitted in the inlet (intake) manifolds of the Rolls Royce
"Merlin" engine, between the supercharger and the head.
Made from layers of corrugated brass foil about an inch deep, these were
intended to prevent a backfire blowing the supercharger into the next
world. They worked very well, preventing the ignition of a perfect
stoiometric mixture at pressures up to 60" Hg.

Nigel