Europa-List: control surface hinge pins

Subject: Europa-List: control surface hinge pins
From: Fred R. Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:50:28

Hi All!

Earlier this month I noted an exchange between Kingsley Hurst and Jim Nelson
concerning the use of a continuous (long) hinge pin as a means of
eliminating the surface bolt heads for the rudder and trim tab hinges; I
later viewed some pics of Jim's installation (thank you again Jim) in order
to fully understand how this worked.

I'm wondering if this mod could be further refined by flipping the hinges so
that the hinges fall within the respective slots. In this event, the
notching of the rudder and trim tab flanges would not be necessary...thus
resulting in a clean line between the vertical fin and the rudder and the
hinges would not be visable at all. Of course the edges of the flanges would
have to be true and allow for the required clearance for full deflection.

If this technique were to be adopted, insertion of the hinge pin (since it
too would lie within the slot) could be a challenge which conceivably could
be overcome by grinding the hinge pin to a point and patiently poking it til
it found its way through the holes in the hinges.

Have any of you'all out there considered...attempted...executed...or
abandoned something like this?

Of course I am in the early stage of construction, and have the luxury of
considering such nuances...and I'm also mindful of the traps laid by
neurotic perfectionism and endless refinement...the phrase, "Abandon all
hope, ye who enter here" comes to mind.

Fred