Re: Europa-List: Fitting the cowl fasteners

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fitting the cowl fasteners
From: Gerry Holland <gnholland@onetel.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:31:22

Paul Hi!

Those bloody cowlings again! We are on a parallel Universe heading to
damnation!

Mine are fixed in what I thought was a normal way as follows from the
=8Cbook=B9:

"Enlarge the holes joining the two cowlings together to 4.8 mm (3/16"),
except for the rearmost hole
each side, and install MS21047-3 anchor nuts (14 in total) to the inside of
the lower cowling with
TAPK33BS countersink rivets.

The remaining holes should also be opened to 4.8 mm and MS21047-3 anchor
nuts installed to the
inside of the fuselage using countersink rivets. As the thickness of the
fuselage where the anchor nuts
are to be located will vary depending on their position a selection of 3.2
mm diameter countersink
rivets are provided. Use the shortest rivet that you can for attaching each
anchor nut into the fuselage.

Countersink the outside face of all the holes of the upper cowling and the
rearmost holes only of the
lower cowling, except the upper rear holes, to allow the Tinnerman washers
to lie flat against the
cowling surface. The cowlings may now be fitted using the AN507C-1032R12
screws.

Shorter MS24693-C272 screws may be used for joining the two cowlings
together and these may be
long enough to be used in some places securing the cowlings to the fuselage;
however, note that the
lower inboard screws need to be longer than the rest.=B2

> On reading the installation manual it seems like they are expecting the cowl
> fasteners to be flush surface mounted rather than put on the inside. Can
> someone confirm that I have the interpretation correct.

Mine are on inside? And all seems well. Of course I could find out that I=B9ve
made another cock up but I=B9m happy!

Regards

Gerry

Gerry Holland