Europa-List: Funny misfire

Subject: Europa-List: Funny misfire
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:56:10

Good morning guys.

G-OWWW is a classic tri-gear with 912S and Airmaster.

I have noticed recently that in the cruise (5000 and 25 MP) every so often
the engine "mumurs" as if one cylinder misfires. It is hard to hear and
happens every 2 - 3 minutes or so. It is just a blip for a fraction of a
second. The rest of the time it runs sweetly at 16.4 litres an hour and 125
knots indicated.

The airplane has done 40 hours now.

Has anyone had this experience ? Has anyone any ideas ? I have heard it
suggested that it is carb ice forming and then dislodging.

My cruise is usually at 2000 - 2400 feet and the external temp has been 15 -
15 Celcius (60 - 65 Fahrenheit).

As you can imagine it is a little worrying :-)  As a result I haven't taken
it to France yet.

I should do more tests, with fuel pump on, and others. Any ideas or
suggestions (polite please)

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                                 email : rholder@avnet.co.uk
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, EGSG (Stapleford)
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)