RE: Europa-List: How to make paint stick to steel with gold colored plat

Subject: RE: Europa-List: How to make paint stick to steel with gold colored plating?
From: Jeremy Davey <jeremycrdavey@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 08:29:16

Ron,

The short answer is "don't bother"! The long answer is...

The plating is an anti-corrosion treatment applied by the factory - Zinc
plating with a chromic passivation. I haven't found anything that sticks to
it... But then, why try to corrosion protect something that is already
corrosion protected? All you do is add weight.

I would imagine that if you really, really wanted to paint it, you'd have to
abrade off the coating. And how you'll manage to do that down the middle of
the aileron torque-tubes will be a challenge.

A squirt of ACF-50 down the middle of the sealed tubes (pitch torque-tube,
under seat aileron pushrods) wouldn't harm, though.

Regards,
Jeremy

Jeremy Davey

Europa XS Monowheel 537M G-EZZA