Europa-List: 914 Overboost?

Subject: Europa-List: 914 Overboost?
From: Ronald J. Parigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 04:10:47

I am building in a hanger next to my DARs.

He mentioned he signed off some sort of "Flying Lawn Furniture". I forget the
name
of it. Anyway it is 914 powered.

Ends up he is having an over boost problem. He trashed the motor on first flight
and Rotax would not warranty it. Think it failed 1 or 2 pistons.

I don't know what prop he was using.

After the motor back in and a few hours the same thing.

Curious, many problems with 914 Europas over boosting and trashing engine?

I would think that there would be some sort well thought out plan designed in,
where motor could kinda sortta figure out from more than 1 sensor if in over
boost
or too far advanced or too lean, and then go and dump wastegate/retard ignition.

I would think even if wastegate stuck closed, timing would go to very mild?
Maybe
not. I know on some cars owners install controlled leaks (Pilot controlled
valves) that cheat the system into providing more boost.

Ron Parigoris