Re: Europa-List: S01 Bushs and Spar Sockets

Subject: Re: Europa-List: S01 Bushs and Spar Sockets
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 18:43:23

Mike,

In case you haven't done it yet, an easy way to open up the hole to 1" is cut
a 2x4 to the thickness and shape of the spar cup. You can use the end of the
spar tang as a template for the 2x4. I used my band saw to cut it to shape.
Insert the 2x4 into the cup and clamp it in place. Drill a 1/8" pilot hole into

the 2x4 directly in the center of the hole in the spar cup. Then, use a 1"
hole saw to open up the hole in the spar cup using the 2x4 as a guide for the
pilot bit on the hole saw. It works very well and you wind up with a perfect, 1"

hole in about 30 seconds. Be sure you scuff the cup with 60 grit well before
you bond it. Both of mine came loose and required rebonding after only a few
trial fits apparently because I didn't adequately scuff the surface of the cup.

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN
A-245