RE: Europa-List: Setting wing incidence

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Setting wing incidence
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:45:53

Someone at the factory failed trigonometry.  If you use the inch unit
measurements in the Tri-Gear Manual on page 27-2, 30 July 1999, Issue 2
(.0872 inch over 50 inch chord) and do the trig correctly you will find that
the tolerance is actually 0.1 degrees (from arctan 0.0872/50 = 0.09992).

Note also that the manual tells you to drill through the fuselage sides to
accommodate the forward lift pins.  Not being inclined to allow water to
flow into the cockpit I declined to do this and found that there is no need
to do it either, although it is certainly possible that others may have had
to do so to provide clearance.

Worse yet, had I followed the earlier instructions about bonding the aft
lift pins into the wing root I would have been unable to complete this step
because I found that the pip pin holes in the lift pins would have failed to
align with the holes in the W26 root pin sockets (the pins in my kit were
too long).

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Europa XS Tri-Gear A070