Europa-List: : Landing Radar?

Subject: Europa-List: : Landing Radar?
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 23:03:28

>Cheers,
>             I have been blessed to acquire an idea from Graham Clarke of
>Edinburgh, whose inquisitive mind came up with (among many other things) a
>'landing Radar'.

Ferg
Graham also came up with a more agricultural, but no doubt equally
effective device which he called his "Whtie Stick"!?!
This was a long (5ft) stick that dropped down with the landing gear and
trailed on the ground. Inboard end was attached to a potentiometer, so
rotation of the pot it would register height above ground in the same
range, audio bleeps as in glider variometers which are very easy to learn
to use,
It too might save the cost of a few Warp Drive blades? A friend broke a
couple at the rally at Kemble. Hearing the story made me wonder if the
tailplane deflection was adequate. I always recommend 13 degrees of up
elevator and insist that stick is hard back on landing. When the speed
drops to 20 knots the rudder won't help any more and it's important  the
tailplane (all that's holding the tail down ) isn't still lifting instead
of pushing down. Remember that on the ground tailplane angle of attack is
reduced by the amount of the ground attitude of the fuselage.
the other Graham, (sorry to be boring again)
pity he has left us due to medical and age reasons, a very bright mind.

---