Re: Europa-List: New builder building in a single garage?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: New builder building in a single garage?
From: Nigel Charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:30:09

>I was wondering if there was any members of this list who had already built
or are building a kit in a single garage. I do hope to gain access to a
larger workshop further down the build process though this is not certain, I
will be building the initial stages at least in my single garage.

If someone is out their and has done this I would appreciate any advice you
may have on possible layouts/setup for building the kit in a confined
space.<

Although it is possible to do a lot of the build in a single garage extra
space will be necessary to store parts and rigging will have to be done out
of doors. If you are planning to trailer-fly buying the trailer early gives
you instant storage space. I built 95% of my Europa in a single width garage
but I did have the advantage it was over 30ft long. As I contracted out the
filling and painting I left the wing incidence, flap setup and wing fairings
until last. I was then able to borrow workspace from the contractor for 2
weeks just before filling was started. Only buy stages of the kit as you
need them if you want to minimise the storage problem. I managed to get a
neighbour to store the fuselage top which is a particularly bulky item. If
you have a tall garage you can suspend it from the ceiling.

Nigel Charles