Re: Europa-List: New Tail wheel, old engine mount???????

Subject: Re: Europa-List: New Tail wheel, old engine mount???????
From: Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:19:09

So that's poured cold water all over the blue touch paper!

I agree that in normal circumstances a technique can be developed for
successful departures and arrivals; conversely, the (mono)configuration can
be unforgiving of any unintentional departures from that technique. However,
holding a tail-low attitude allows the a/c to fly off at full throttle on
the backside of the power curve, which is ok if arrested while still in
ground effect.

Bumpy grass strips are also a  bit of a problem for the conventional geared
Europa in that the a/c can be thrown prematurely into the air, requiring
fairly wild elevator input to keep things sensible. So far, no dinged prop.

My observations were meant to allow the reader to draw conclusions,
preferring otherwise to let sleeping dogs lie.
Being aware of the hazards, they can then be managed.

Duncan McF