Re: Europa-List: 150th Anniversary

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 150th Anniversary
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:30:09

----- Original Message -----
From: "R.C.Harrison" <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>

<ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>

| Hi! David.
| So why didn't you come to the Elvington Event at the Yorkshire Air Museum
on
| Sunday 6th July.
| when I was there and only 4 private aircraft had flown in to attend! There
| was a host of celebrations going on with a large public attendance. A
museum
| well worth a trip.
| No one in attendance at the airfield so a freebie !
| regards
| Bob Harrison  G-PTAG

Now, Robert,
            Perhaps David didn't go because he had previous commitments. I
didn't go either. The reason may have been that there was insufficient
warning (The US preps have been underway for 2-1/2 years), or that it was
not really an anniversary (I believe the original event occurred in
December?), or that the US is celebrating sustained powered flight, rather
than gliding downhill. It may be passing strange that the whole event was a
scheme of a certain millionaire to advertise his airline (curiously
available for a flypast at season's peak), and his 'flamboyant style' (read
pompous hype).
            Real aviators don't wear fake beards (unless it's a scam, like
Granny's solo).
            I'd like to read the full text of the Wright brothers'
testimonial to Cayley's pioneering, rather than join a circus. Mind you,
.......got to give the snakeoil salesman his due.
Cheers, Ferg